Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mending Memories

The title to this post might have some of my readers scratching their heads and saying, "Huh?" when they learn it is about mending shorts- better yet, it is about turning pants into shorts. This explains the first part of the title. The second is because these belong to a young lady, just older than my daughter. These pants I mended for her were starting to wear completely through the knees. When a little kid wears their pants all the way through the knees, there must be many stories and memories associated with those holes. Perhaps there were dragons to tame, butterflies to catch, or elephants to ride. Young children are full of imagination and life. I am full of being frugal. Together (at least in this case) we make a pretty good team. Here is the tutorial (pictures included) of how I turned two pairs of pants into shorts. Good news for beginning seamstresses... it's simple!

[Note: The color quality is not all the same in these pictures as I took some on my phone and some on my digital and did not edit them this time around. Some had a flash and some did not. This was more about the actual project than the pictures. Besides, it's hard to snap a photo when I am trying to cut at the same time. Ha!] I started with two pairs of pants- a green, stretchy pair and a navy, cotton pair standard to school uniforms. For the close up shots, we will go with the green so you can see the hems easier. 


[It's strange to me how the pictures are all taken with the same camera, on the same table, and have different coloring. Good thing I'm not a pro photographer!]

I cut as close to and just above the worn area without cutting into it. I cut straight across the leg.


After ironing the pants (which is actually better before the cut is made), and turning the pants inside out, I folded and measured 1/2 inch across as I checked with a ruler. 



The fold was made twice, then pinned all around. 



When you sew, make sure you are following the guiding line on your machine, next to the pressure foot. 

Turn right side out, iron, and your pants are now finished shorts! [I look forward to the next sewing project where I use the cut-off parts of the pants to make something fun!]






There is an old adage that says:
Use it up, wear it out
Make do, or do without.

I am grateful to have enough sewing skills to make beautiful things for my home and mend pants for our family or a friend and to live by this saying. When we have the opportunity to create, we are fulfilling a part of our Divine potential. 

Happily Sewing-
Mama Dragon


No comments: